Share | 

Playing AJL in 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Playing AJL in 2015   01.01.15 12:58

It's so sweet that couple of threads are gone... Let's make a new one.

In case if somebody doesn't have connector:
sendspace.com ot7f09

It's good to enter Rev's LV426 server ip 89.27.12.189 and port 27888, so the server is visible.
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   01.01.15 23:28

Cleaning is needed occasionally. I delete some topics from off sector last night and today some other delete rest. Damn good one for I myself wasn't sure can I clean more even I wanted Rolling Eyes

Yes, my server can be seen by Connector when I run it, I run it non-dedicated cause timescale is most right on that mode (no too fast gameplay which bugs game). Also there is crash bugs on dedicated mode.
- reloading harpoon rifle occasionally crash player who reload it and sometimes hole server or other players along.
- If alien is on lifecycle mode and get wounded while on larval stage (bleeding acid), it can do similar crash effect once it's about to molt adult (the blood tries bleed but model is new, code goes crash I think).
That's the first two I can recall now about reasons for crash middle of game on TDM mode scratch  (abusing bugs in game is all different story Rolling Eyes ).
For all information ever needed to play and join my server or simply ask question of server - http://ajlforums.forumotion.com/t164-lv-426-server

At present time on my knowledge there is only 2 active AJLmod servers of R2 version, mine and Russian Bears server 9. I use more custom made levels called UMP maps (huge packet of collected maps done on last decade by various users). It have been upgraded to version 5 if I'm right (so 5 or 6 different packet to download) and in it is thousands (at least hundreds) of maps.
Some total waste and some best maps ever done to any game.

Other mods and variations about AJLmod is official sequel called either Beta or R3, VIP mod and LAB mod.
Rumors and legends have it that Le Celticant is on project that is doing R2 again (year or over I heard about it here), [VX], Tactoit and their gang is doing their new mod of LAB (actually I don't know anything else of that).

---

This was mostly for new players of sort info about if there still is people interesting about this mod
Back to top Go down
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   02.01.15 1:19

I thought forum got hacked by some ragekid again xD

One more facilitation for new players (if there ever will be any). Idk if there are active download links for R2 anywhere on forums, so:

ajl mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/ajl/downloads/ajl-r1
ajl mod update http://www.moddb.com/mods/ajl/downloads/ajl-r2
Back to top Go down
hunterpred
[ New Chimp ]
[ New Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   04.01.15 2:37

wow, so many threads gone. Initially I thought the forum got hacked by some crazy russians again, lol.
Back to top Go down
stealth_vicious
[ Wannabe Chimp ]
[ Wannabe Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   10.01.15 9:22

Hello all, haven't play this mod in a few years now, last i played R3 was about to come out and fox was about to shut down the servers. been thinking about the mod recently, and wanted to play again. can someone give me a rundown of whats been going on since i stop playing? what happen with R3?

also is the following sticky up to date?

http://ajlforums.forumotion.com/t90-how-to-install-ajlmod-lab-connector-e-t-c
Back to top Go down
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   10.01.15 16:20

Hello!
R3 is released, there is Russian Bears dedicated server running or R3 24/7 but I haven't seen anybody playing there for some time. If you're interested, here are the links for R3, idk if forum links aren't dead yet:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ajl/downloads/ajl-r3
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ajl/downloads/ajl-r3-update

When it comes to R2, we sometimes play, either on russian bears serv for R2 or on Rev's serv LV426.

About that sticky, personally I don't like and play LAB, but those instructions are probably correct. But I can't download a thing from avp2filefront, so you'll have to search the net for the patches, mods etc...
Back to top Go down
stealth_vicious
[ Wannabe Chimp ]
[ Wannabe Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   11.01.15 9:24

So was there issues with R3, why would you still play R2 over it?

and what did LAB bring to the table?

also anyone know where i can get the ultimate map pack, all the links i find are dead
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   11.01.15 16:50

My view about R3 is that firstly it's way more unstable and buggy than R2. If R2 crash once or twice on every 10-20 rounds on RB servers (and not a single time on my serv unless some try to crash on purpose Razz ), there R3 crash right from the start and keep crashing hole day.

Some may say it's playable, I say I don't care so long as it crash pretty much every fucking time I played it by doing things that are nearly impossible to stop doing if you want play seriously (like pick up weapons as marine to get ammo).
Another really annoying thing was how game-destroyer your own sentry was; place it and once the gun part is destroyed, you cannot place another sentry so long as the tripod part was intact somewhere on map. ...By far one of the best weapons ever designed on this Universe - weapon that fails your every match and every plan by it's design and mechanism.
...I guess I was only player ever realizing that and taking out tripod along to let my enemy place new sentry once re-spawned.
Naturally I never get to feel that warm caring myself when playing marines so go fuck yourself gaming community Razz

Next and most important thing that deletes any will to continue was the idea, the philosophy, how the game was played.
If you know both games chess and poker and understand their difference, then R3 is chess and R2 was poker.
Some may like chess so much that they eat same bread everyday and every year, I myself like chess once a while on every few years.
But if I have to play example another chess right after one, I nearly vomit.
Also I would like to have option on configs to use aim key as hold like walk is, not to keep pressing the button to keep aim up instead click it once to activate and click second to stop it.

Anyway I kind forget R3, not my game. Even if it would be completely finished it would still be that chess Rolling Eyes .
And is my wish that important? That AJL change what he has planned just cause I hate static game play that can be calculated from start to end just like chess, sounds like a arrogant asshole demanding others what the game should be Rolling Eyes
...But if R3 (or BETA) would be finished, I could think it as once a while experience Rolling Eyes , play one round and sit hole time on a most defensive place, trapping every place I could with everything I could and see can I live 10 mins, if I could, I would win, the dropship picks me up.
Who I have to listen and be fair against? Some monstrous shitface wanting to rip my skull off the spine or some perverted slime-rapist wanting to breed more like it inside of me?
...Or some traitorous mercenaries whose names most likely are Boris, Vladimir and Josef...fuck that! Mad  Razz  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   11.01.15 22:25

You can download UMP2 from here. Use mirror for ump2 with updates inculded, first file in table.

http://www.umpparty.stargatebase.net/downloads.php

Revenant -Mar Sara- wrote:
Some monstrous shitface wanting to rip my skull off the spine or some perverted slime-rapist wanting to breed more like it inside of me?
...Or some traitorous mercenaries whose names most likely are Boris, Vladimir and Josef...fuck that! Mad  Razz  Twisted Evil

And that's what the best game ever is all about XD
Back to top Go down
AJL
[ The All Mighty Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   14.01.15 2:25

Admittedly the R2 is the better game.. its more stable, more balance, and the existing features are more or less finished...

While the new features and changes in R3 were mostly in the right "direction" IMO, still the actual implementations are
less than satisfactory + the game is rather unstable... I am not sure why, but I am guessing its at least in part because
the game was originally made for 16/32bit system, to run with single processor and the code was meant to be compiled
with very old version of visual c++ and old version of DirectX.. so when I compiled it in much newer system, all the
incompatible software and hardware propably screwed stuff up here and there...
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   14.01.15 9:42

You hear about Le Celticant, what's the business about he was talking of year or another ago, about he in team that makes R2 again on new kick ass engine?
Could it still be possible that you would be interested enough to continue + some fellas giving you hand and so on Rolling Eyes

---

I don't know exactly what you wanted on that idea level, how the game should be played but I think I know at least some of why R3 didn't beat R2 on that idea and game play.

First little example to understand my meanings Rolling Eyes

On somewhere past, decade or so ago, new breed of players were born. As before them was Quake-players (let's call them that for now), they play by reaction and skill, playing was fast and fierce, shots were fired less than 0,10 sec and they hit crazily sureness.
The "sniper" term wasn't even created, it wasn't needed cause Quake rocket launcher hit every time and killed from first, in a way it was sniping with rocket Razz
And if it wasn't 100% hit no matter, blast was enough to kill on few try.
This was time of white power cheers .
If you have X-COM auto-cannon (know what that is?) and you don't have to listen sobbing womens then where you need sniper rifle? (Actually, precision rifle. Kids make term sniper).
Level the hole fucking building if you please Laughing
Same philosophy is seen on WarHammer 40,000 when Terminators cleanse Space Hulks, they use weapons that literally explodes Genestealers as default and normal weapons, there is no term "minimal force used, collateral casualties minimized", there is only idea "maximal force needed to make the job done".
So, it was time of wisdom, clairvoyance and power, time of mens and balls and strength. Just like Terminator movies and Commando and Total Recall and dozens others.
It was time of happiness and serenity...life was good.

Then come the sub-humans, the niggers, the homosexuals, the hippies and every fucking cocksucker in the world that can't handle the truth, then come so called Console-generation.
As the console pads simply could not stay with keyboard+mouse combo, the games were altered that in mind, games were turned slow, unable, stupid, gutless and whatever...
They replace the attitude with explanation of fake knowhow, that today we ain't stupid muscle-brains killing and destroying everything, we use brains and select carefully our targets and hit precisely right in the head that not even single splash of blood will spread to whore right next to psychotic killer...
The egoistic mind was born - the player that despise others and taunt them with insults how good he is and how bad you are.
But he was just that good right at the point where he could have fun on firing range, firing clay disks or bonded rabbits, laughing how pathetic they were and how superior he was...
Once the rabbit breaks free, the clay disk alter it's flight path, everything change...
The superior quits, not continuing and before he leaves, insults were thrown and feeble try to crash server was seen...
That was the value and worth of these new era superiors, the god-likes, the head-shot-unreals. (Nothing wrong on the Unreal game though, just expression.)
Nothing but a unable pathetic prick pissing on others sandbox.

Then they meet me, then they shatter Rolling Eyes

---

Sooo...The R2 have that fierceness, it holds enough random factors that players can't calculate frags.
Still it has equally that calmness and calculation, if you do nothing but rush forward you do nothing but die like idiot, you need them both, not sit on your ass but still not going too fast.
R2 holds equally tactic and strategy as it hold reaction and skill...and of course, psychological warfare plays heavy role too Rolling Eyes , something that many players ain't realizing.
In a way R2 is perfectly balanced on that system.

R3 then, I say it concentrates highly just on that calculation sector. You have to think and plan pretty much everything and nothing can be done by reaction, if you even try, you simply can't even hit surely if you turn in panic and try to blast xenos ass, not to mention that turning 180 degree fast needs it's hole own trick and practice.
Alien that have stalked you over 30 seconds and prepared the kill, coming just there, behind, you have absolutely no chance but to die.
In a way sounds hell a interesting and fun, a damn movie like system!
And it was hell a great kill when I too made them first times, feels so damn good!
But enough matches played and things tried, you start to see the boring pattern, there is no alteration.
If you make the kill you can smile like idiot, ego satisfied, if you are one to die, there is not much to celebrate, it was fated to happen cause you didn't play in a way that would fate you to kill.

So, marine players seek the most defensive place and light smokes, alien players sit still behind places waiting marine player to frustrate and make the mistake of exploration...and predators just stand somewhere where everything is seen and everything can be plasma-casted.

I found this boring and stupid...maybe I didn't play enough and I'm wrong, but again how can I play enough if the game ain't working and the handful of players playing it plays rarely and when they play, they play for their ego.
Back to top Go down
AJL
[ The All Mighty Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   15.01.15 20:22

I have occasionally though about trying out that Unreal Engine 4, but haven't gotten to it.. and no matter how optimisticly I might think about it, no matter how easy it might be, it would propably still take many months just to build the "basic game" systems before I could even begin to start adding any avp specific special features... And its doubtfull it would go that well.. it wouldn't be so easy.. more likely it would take Years just to build the basics and its extremely unlikely I would be able to maintain sufficient motivation.. its just tooooooo daaaamn huuuuge project to make an all new game...

So its doubtfull I will be making any new "AJL" mod/game.. not unless we get some new official avp game with good mod support.. which is unlikely.. No
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   15.01.15 22:26

Reality is...gray Rolling Eyes . Demoralizing, heavy, frustrating,..gray. Well I'm happy for R2 Cool , annoying is that on a planet of 7 billion assholes (was it 7 or 8 today scratch ), there ain't enough to keep one game active.
Back to top Go down
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   16.01.15 9:15

So damn true...
Back to top Go down
hunterpred
[ New Chimp ]
[ New Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   23.01.15 6:03

Jesus, the almighty AJL himself is still alive :) Oh boy, what a surprise! I thought you abandoned this game and forum a long time ago...

Anyway, I just realized that, all those years I've been playing this game, I have never thanked you for what I think is one of the best mods ever and the best Alien vs Predator game out there. So thanks a lot!

Of course, AJL R2 is based on an ancient graphics engine, but the game is still so much fun.

Unfortunately it is not popular anymore. Even back then it wasn't too well known.

This brings me to something I have always though about during those years. It's too late now, but I may as well share it here.

I always thought about "how come this game is not that well known?". Thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that probably a lot of potential players were put off by the unconvenient barrier of entry once you wanted to play this game. Even if it is not that hard to get AJL running, you still need to put in a command line, find the right map packs, sometimes even make a bat file. The UMP (Ultimate Map Pack) is also not that small (900 mb?).

I think a lot of players were just too lazy to go through all this trouble of getting the game to run, so they stopped bothering. In other words: simplicity was missing. Especially these days everything needs to be simple in order to attract a large amount of people. If you want to sell something to people, make it easy as possible to use. Smartphones are a good example.

So here is what I was alwas thinking (I have to say I don't know much about computer programming, so this is just a "free" thought)

If AJL MOD R2 had a custom, simple game launcher back then, or a very simple installation program, which included all the maps (OR EVEN BETTER: a dedicated AJL MOD R2 Map Pack with let's say 24 of the most popular maps/best suited maps for this partucular mod), THEN I think it would have been much more popular. You just click on it, choose the server and done. This may be just a fantasy, but this is what I always thought. This way, it could have been much simpler shared among friends and advertised on websites.

If only... If only... :D

Lastly, I just want to say, it's kind of sad that all the Alien or Predator games that came after AVP 2 just sucked (don't know about Alien Isolation).

I think there will never be a multiplayer Alien vs Marine vs Predator game like AJL R2 again. However, I have very fond memories of playing this mod back then on some almost unknown russian servers with a few other fans of this mod (mostly at nights), which never fails to make me smile we I think about it. It was really a cool experience I wish more people had the chance to experience :)

Anyway, thanks AJL, you're the best, man!

P.s.: Oh, and making REV a moderator was a very good decision. He is really a "unique" personality I have to say :)

Back to top Go down
Stroke3
[ Chimp ]
[ Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   23.01.15 12:27

If someone was too lazy to download 900mb of maps and copy&paste 2 commands, then he is obviously not worthy of playing R2.
Couple of years ago the mod was rather popular, I remember times when pretty much anytime I wanted to play there were some games going on. It was back then, when master server still was running and R2 serv browser as well. Plus I don't think that large amounts of players, most of which would probably be noobs making quake of this game, would be best thing to happen for R2... The mod is really elite thing to me, not for everybody, you know what I mean. More players and mainstream could really ruin the climate I think. And this is for what I love R2 the most- it's climate. I still remember what it's like to play marine vs aliens on industry2. It wouldn't be the same if players weren't right...

And AJL- thank you as well!!!
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   23.01.15 18:53

Hehee Wink , at least not all hate me Wink .

It's true, actually getting to play AJLmod is work to do.
It was complicated back then when AvP 2 was days game and it's more complicated now cause player to get interested this have to have serious will and motivation to even wanting to play this + puzzle out problems that come when Core processors come and newer Windows with it's own problems.

And if that would happen, one or more totally new players join, there would be problem of total kick ass which they have to endure to even start to feel like success.
Cause, naturally, if AJLmod rise again, then all the elite of the elite players  Laughing  (hah!  Cool  only elite ever anywhere, is the game "Elite" on a dawn of video games), come back too.
So take a wild guess how much they have motivation as they're used to games that nearly play itself + with all easements that todays game are of.
I kind a doubt not much of them could even accept in their minds that they are students and legendary names of AJLmod are teachers.
Specially when the learning takes years, if they really wanted to reach same level where they are accepted as equal or at least give challenge which have to be taken seriously.

In theory it's possible to create install pack which have installed version of AvP 2, all paches, AJLmod and all UMP maps, just on one install file. Not impossible to create custom launcher too which locate servs, create serv and select which mad want to play.
But, it takes will and work to do something like that.

And still it requires enough advertising to let people know something like that exist.

Well, yeah, of course there would be lot of players who play in a way that elite don't like or respect.
But again it was the unspoken rule of honor and requirement, that actually play huge role to bringing this game too to it's end (every multiplay game have to deal that).
When the playing is how you have to play, what you can or can not do, then the game is on a road to oblivion, players get enough of it in time. Not enough about game, like they think, but enough of others who play it.
So if you ever want this game example live again, you have to give room for new players and let them play how they wish and accept you too take your part of that shit, and they are fucking the rest of your day cheers .

Great example - Elite AJLmod player, naturally takes predator, it's comfortable to have place to stay safe and just observe, plan his/her actions, behind cloak.
Whenever action is decided, it's also comfortable to do, predator is the most deadly on a skilled player.
- Meatbag player joins. He takes either human cause alien and predator are already "alien" to him/her, the very basic logic and idea how to play with them is hard to comprehend on start.
So they start playing, 1vs1.
(Now throw the dices and guess who got advantage before match even heats Rolling Eyes ).
OK meatbag get frustrated when Elite frags him 9:th time. Meatbag tries play logically, movie like, fairly and nicely, hoping to get more moods than default fragfeast, so he walked, stay in covers, check corners, try to look in darkness for seconds is that cloak or not...firing like a professional soldier - short controlled bursts.
But all those mentioned before, don't work until you are experienced enough, now you are nothing more than a free target to überpred that needs worry nothing when it attacks.
Even that the marine player would hit with burst, means nothing, less than fraction of sec, before it can fire another burst that in good luck could kill, marine is dead.
So, after 9 death, meatbag says himself fuck this shit and loads his grenades.
The tenth frag kills marine himself and predator along as marine blast assaulting pred 2 meters away...

After that, begins verbal combat. Elite accuse meatbag to be noob, go play Call of Duty he propose and meatbag answers fuck you cheating moms vagina licker. The match itself is ruined, meatbag never again join and elite feels like wasting his day.
...Elite, have more guilty, he/she join ego in mind, Jesus fucking Christ I'm gona OWN this meatbag, I'm a fucking elite of the elite and he is nothing but a dog shit to me!
But the elite is not even near elite, he/she is egomaniac with high skills and low tactics, he is used to play with rules that they create years ago with his friends.
Elite is unable to see his/her weakness and flaws nor accept I have still something to learn, I have to sit and learn basics again.
Also elite didn't give any room, elite wanted it all. If he would take human himself, move in walk mode, use only pistol, not using NV, maybe it would bring better end result after all, maybe the meatbag would feel like satisfied and elite would learn something he never though before.
But something like that would require accepting that I too can lose, in the end, it's not me who maybe lead in frags, me, the elite.

And now the elite is braindead. Dead and bored. Nothing to play.
Jack is dull and nothing to play Rolling Eyes

At least Shining is good movie, gives good feeling Cool
Back to top Go down
svxiii
[ King Kong ]
[ King Kong ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   04.02.15 14:12

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Back to top Go down
tigerija
[ Wannabe Chimp ]
[ Wannabe Chimp ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   04.05.15 5:04

lol
Cant believe it that this mod is still alive. I played this several years ago, a lot. AVP2 AJL is still one of my best game experienced I ever had.

I see AJL is still alive, hehe, and Revenant -Mar Sara- . We played quite a bit long time ago :) .

Was someone making this in Unreal Engine? What happened?
All tho, there's also IP ownership problem. You can't make a game just like that...
I'd say it would take 6-9 months to get all basic mechanics done and some kind of beta. With maybe 1 alien and 1 predator, and a marine. With probably limited arsenal.

And what does everyone think of AvP 2010? xD
Nice campaign, ruined multiplayer... They said they had to lock characters into combat or else people would claw the air (lol).

Say, AJL. Add me on skype as tigerija. Would you?
You too Mar Sara.
Back to top Go down
Revenant -Mar Sara-
[ Chimp Enforcer ]
[ Chimp Enforcer ]

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   06.05.15 8:18

I remember you Rolling Eyes , back on the good days.

About Skype, I haven't never used it nor any other actual chat or message program, for the last 5-6 years I guess. But I'm here even that last months or year lot less.

There's few new ideas and I could say one or two actual project. Check posts here, one is LABmod based and other some Unreal Engine system was it scratch .
Anyway I can't really say anything are they ongoing projects and how's they going, just few posts here about few new mods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing AJL in 2015   

Back to top Go down

Playing AJL in 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1